Dayz Of My Life...E Re Nata
Sunday, May 30, 2010
  adidas Sundown marathon 2010
A week before Sundown, I was down with mild flu and did not manage to do my usual workout and tapering. Nonetheless, I was pumped and ready to go.

Sundown was on the 29th May 2010, the marathon event of 42km was scheduled to be at 11:59pm Saturday, on that day I took some hours off work during the day to get some sleep.


As if like a prescience of things to come, the chartered buses scheduled to pick us up at 9:30pm did not arrive until 10:00pm. The buses were jam packed.

Walked around the expo area and had a free ice-cream wafer, took my place at the pen and we blasted off at 11:59pm.

The roads were narrow and many "runners" who were walking did not keep to the left as they should, so I was faced with a sea of walkers, some of us resorted to running on the grass.

It was dark everywhere save for the street lamps, I cannot regale you with my description of sights as they were unseen unlike my previous StanChart marathon. The cheerleading volunteers were disinterested and half-hearted and did no do what hey were specified to do, one runner jokingly admonished the cheerleaders on what they were supposed to do, did they do it? Hmm....No! Some of them were even playing card games.

The hydration stations were not prepared for the onslaught of runners as when we get there, they were rushing to fill the cups with isotonic liquid and water and most of the cups were half-filled and not enough banana stations.

At 25km, I hit the dreaded wall and it was very tough for me to carry on, I walked and even then I was struggling a bit. It was not fun. I had to concentrate on putting each foot forward, I stopped and rest a few times and massaged some analgesic cream onto my legs.

Oh yes, there is only how many times I can take East Coast Park, it seems that all my runs involved this place, can't the organisers find other places? I mean who said that East Coast Park should have dominion over marathon running routes?

After the run which I unfortunately did not beat the sunrise, I went and took my isotonic drink and a medal was hung around my neck, one of the few times, however the finisher's tee was out of "S"-sized and I took a very huge "M"-sized T. Went to the changing room, wiped myself, lathered myself with deodorant and waited for the chartered bus to take me to Pasir Ris MRT station then I took a cab home.

So I have an over-sized finishers' tee which I can't wear as it'll swim on me. :(

Rested a couple of hours and headed back to work, lactic acid had a field day with my body, I have some sore toes and few minor strains here and there which does little help to me as my work place has a squatting toilet. Currently, I am best friends with my analgesic cream.Not that I am getting paid for this endorsement but Dr Joint analgesic cream is the way to go. Does not carry the pungent aroma of analgesic cream but does a good job of soothing sore and tired muscles.

Thought I lubricate myself well and of all the places I forgot to lubricate, I forgot to lubricate my back which of course caused some chaffing and when I took a bath when I get home, I paid the price for not lubricating enough.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This blog shall be a happy one, full of mundane stuff. As HH Dalai Lama always said, every being wants happiness and kindness. Yes...Now it's the time for the Dayz of My Life.

Name:
Location: Singapore
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / December 2008 / November 2009 / December 2009 / May 2010 / December 2010 /


Powered by Blogger